Here are nine ways that many people overlook when marketing real estate. These 10 tips hold true for property types of all price-ranges. Buyers today are looking for reasons NOT to buy your property. The real estate market is fierce and competitive — so, as a seller, it is your duty to do everything in your power to help your property sell.
- Get rid of clutter. Throw out or file stacks of newspapers and magazines. Pack away most of your small decorative items. Store out-of-season clothing to make closets seem roomier. Clean out the garage
- Wash and clean. Wash your windows and screens to let more light into the interior. Keep everything extra clean. Wash fingerprints from light switch plates. Mop and wax floors. Clean the stove and refrigerator. A clean house makes a better first impression and convinces buyers that the home has been well cared for.
- Get rid of smells. Clean carpeting and drapes to eliminate cooking odors, smoke, and pet smells. Open the windows.
- Lighting. Put higher wattage bulbs in light sockets to make rooms seem brighter, especially basements and other dark rooms. Replace any burnt-out bulbs. Open blinds for natural light to come in. Show the house on a sunny afternoon day.
- Make minor repairs that can create a bad impression. Small problems, such as sticky doors, torn screens, cracked caulking, or a dripping faucet, may seem trivial, but they’ll give buyers the impression that the house isn’t well maintained.
- Tidy your yard. Cut the grass, rake the leaves, trim the bushes, and edge the walks. Put a pot or two of bright flowers near the entryway.
- Driveway. The first thing people see or use when entering your residence. Patch holes in your driveway and reapply sealant, if applicable.
- Clean your gutters. It is never a positive feature when growth is coming from your gutters. Make sure you have no trees or shrubs sprouting from your gutters. Also make sure the gutters are adequately connected and in good, working condition.
- Polish the finer details. Make the little things stand out. Polish your front doorknob and door numbers. Enable the small things of your property to glisten and shine.